Thursday, June 29, 2006

Somewhat cloudy

Today's column looks at season two of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," a show I always want to like much more than I do. (I think I was one of three people who actually preferred "Starved" to it.)

And with most of the TV business taking the long weekend off, so am I. I don't know whether I'll be near a computer to do recaps of "Deadwood" and/or "Entourage" over the weekend, but if not, I'll get to them late Tuesday/early Wednesday.

Enjoy your independence, everybody. Remember: they may take our lives, but they will never take... our freedom! Or something like that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a much bigger fan of 'Starved,' as well. I think it offended too many people, though? Too bad.

Anonymous said...

Well, let's make it 5 people

Anonymous said...

One thing I found kind of interesting - almost every joke that appeared in the ads used a different take than the aired episodes used. Any idea why thet would do that?

Anonymous said...

don't worry, all the shows are reruns anyway.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I laughed a lot during both eps of "Sunny" tonight. The endings of both were especially funny.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the love Sunny, hated Starved camp. I think the difference for me is that although both feature truly hateable, self-centered characters, Eric Schaeffer created such an UNLIKEABLE character. Somehow even though I cringe at all of the things the Sunny gang does, I still end up rooting for them in the end, and I want to see the crazy things they will do next. I just wanted Eric Schaeffer's character to die and put himself (and me) out of his misery. If that makes any sense.

Anonymous said...

It makes sense to me, Carrie, because I felt the same way about "Starved." It wasn't uncomfortable-yet-funny, just uncomfortable and unpleasant.

Anonymous said...

Let's get one thing straight; Eric Schaefer didn't create an unlikable character, His mother and father did.

Alan Sepinwall said...

I would say the fact that Schaeffer was so unlikable worked for the show. In his past projects, he had this bizarre belief that he was secretly lovable, and it just made me hate him even more. By fully embracing his inner dick, he made me actually want to laugh at him for the first time.